Not everyone has the same way of learning and processing things. Each individual has his/her own styles and techniques to learn and acquire knowledge. Experts have found that many people mix their ways of learning. Some might have a dominant way of learning while others use different ways of learning according to the circumstances.
A relatively new approach towards learning is the use of multiple learning styles and multiple intelligences.
Linguistics and logical teaching methods were the ones used during traditional school days, and even certain schools and educational institutes continue to use it. It is believed that those methods use a limited range of teaching technique and the current scenario of education has raced to a different level altogether.
Educational experts in Engineering Colleges in Andhra Pradesh believe that it is important to step above from book-based teaching and pressured examinations.
It is found in the researches that the speed and quality of learning will be recognized and understood by our own learning styles and can improvise on the learning and teaching techniques later.
So far seven learning styles have been found surveying around the world to comprehend how the students process education and their perception of schools and other educational institutes.
The Seven Learning Styles
● The students those who prefer using images, pictures, and spatial comprehension will fall under Visual / Spatial.
● There are a lot of students who prefer learning through sound and music; they fall under Aural / Auditory-musical.
● These are quite the familiar students, those who prefer speech and writing fall under ‘Verbal / Linguistic’.
● Students fall under the way of ‘Physical / Kinesthetic’. They use their body, hands, and sense of touch while they learn and acquire knowledge.
● ‘Logical / Mathematical’, a way of learning for those students who use logic and reasoning systems. Mostly students of LLB Course prefer this way.
● There are students who favor learning in a small community or groups with other people. It is known as ‘Social / Interpersonal’.
● Those who always study and work alone for acquiring knowledge fall under ‘Solitary or Intrapersonal’.
Understand The Basis of Learning Styles and Why Are They Important?
Recent studies have shown the potential of the learning styles of the students has more influence. The students preferred styles or ways of learning to guide the student in education and in life. These ways internally reflect the experiences, the way the students recollect information.
Further studies, that were conducted in Engineering Colleges in Andhra Pradesh have provided with the facts that each style of learning uses different parts of the brain. Technologies have found the key areas of the brain responsible for the different learning style.
Here is a list of the parts of the brain involved during different ways of technique:
Occipital and Parietal Lobes: These parts of the brain involve while the students prefer visual representation for learning. The former manages the visual sense and the latter manages the spatial part.
Temporal Lobes: They handle the aural content, especially the right temporal lobe functions more when Music is involved.
Cerebellum and Motor Cortex: They function more in the brains of the students when physical movement is involved during learning.
Every student uses different learning styles. There aren’t any right or wrong ways of learning techniques. The development of the ability to learn has always changed with time to time.
It is important for the educational and psychological experts to follow up with the students as they evolve with time. There is a possibility that they even exceed the current generation and think beyond normal or what is accepted by the society. The consistent follow up of the students by these facilitators can keep the students and the education sector updated.