Kashmiri couple arrested in Delhi being framed, says family


SRINAGAR — The family members of a Kashmiri couple detained in New Delhi for their alleged links with the Islamic State on Tuesday said that the duo have been framed and the charges levelled against them are “fictitious and imaginary.”

On March 08, Delhi Police’s special cell claimed they had detained a Kashmiri living in a rented flat in Jamia Nagar for links with the Islamic State’s Khorasan Province. It said the couple were involved in inciting protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act and were in possession of objectionable material.

Sehrish Sami, sister of the Kashmiri man, Jahanzaib Sami Wani, who has been arrested by Delhi Police along with his wife Hina Bashir Beig for having links with the Islamic State, rubbished the charges against her brother.

“He moved to Delhi due to lockdown and internet blockade in Kashmir after the abrogation of Article 370 on August 05, 2019,” she said. “My brother is an IT professional and was working for a UK-based company in Srinagar.”

COVID-19: After Reyaz Punjabi, his wife Dr Tarannum succumbs

She said he joined the company in June last year. She said her brother had shifted to Delhi temporarily in September last year at the behest of the company due to the continued internet shutdown in Kashmir. Sehrish said the company had arranged accommodation for him at Okhla.

Sehrish said that after getting married on October 06, her brother and his wife moved into a rented flat in Delhi on October 26. “Now he was all set to return home as the internet has been restored in Kashmir,” Sehrish said. “Last time I spoke to him, he said they will come home soon.”

She said her father Abdul Sami, a businessman, and her sister-in law’s father have reached Delhi to arrange legal help for her brother and his wife. She said they were informed about her brother and sister in law’s arrest by one of Jahanzaib’s friends who was contacted by the landlord.

Language main component, identity of community: CUK VC

“I then spoke to one of my cousins in Delhi and asked him to find out what had happened,” she said. “She said the police have also levelled charges against her sister-in-law who had told police she accompanied her husband to the police station.”

Jahanzaib went to one of Kashmir’s best schools Burn Hall and Tyndale Biscoe and then studied Electronics and Communication at Ferozpure in Punjab. He did his MBA in IT from Bengaluru.

“He worked in Bangaluru for some time and then returned home and started his own IT start-up Walursol which shut down due to the 2016 uprising,” Sehrish said. “He then took a job in Pune for some time but he always wanted to come back and settle in Kashmir.”

Editor's Note

The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Get latest news updates by subscribing to our Telegram handle or join our WhatsApp Group!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here