Srinagar: At least 11 residential structures were Tuesday completely gutted in a fierce blaze at Gat Colony in Noorbagh in Qamarwari area of Srinagar.
Locals told KNS that today afternoon fire erupted in a house in Gat colony, Noorbagh and engulfed twelve neighbouring residential houses.
Locals said that the cause of the fire could be electric short circuit. However, officials said that the fire might have broke out due to gas cylinder leakage.
Official in Fire Service department told KNS that four fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the flames and prevent the fire from spreading further.
Tehsildar Eidgah, Nusrat Aziz told KNS that the fire has fully gutted 11 residential structures. “Eleven residential structures have been completely gutted. And 14 families have become houseless,” Nusrat told KNS.
She said that the government has provided nine tenets to the families, besides Rs 2000 cash and 5 kgs free rice to each family for temporary relief.
Congress leader from Eidgah Imtiyaz Ahmad told KNS that the fire could have been controlled had the fire tenders reached the spot on time.
Imtiyaz said that the families who have been affected are “very poor” and demanded that the government should pay sufficient compensation to the fire victims.
Sanaullah Sheikh, a fire victim, told KNS that they have become homeless and “we appeal the chief minister to provide us sufficient compensation so that we could live again”. (KNS)