Security beefed after two militant attacks in Kashmir

Srinagar: Security has been beefed up across Kashmir following two militant attacks in the city last week that left a political worker and a security jawan dead, a senior police officer said on Sunday.
The officer said militants took advantage of the laxity in the security drill as police was involved in relief and rehabilitation process in the wake of the floods in the Valley.
“A large number of police personnel were busy with relief and rehabilitation process for the flood victims, which resulted in the militants killing two persons last week,” he said.
The officer said the anti-militancy grid of which police is an important component will resume its normal work from tomorrow in order to ensure that the ultras do not get a chance to strike again.
One of the major problems for the security apparatus has been poor telecommunication network in Kashmir as human intelligence input has dropped significantly, he said.
“We are hopeful that telecommunication network will get back to normal very soon as security agencies depend a lot on human intelligence,” he said.
Although flood water in most parts of the city has receded, security forces have vacated many of their camps and static bunkers in the city as these were rendered unsafe due to water logging for many days.
“This has been one of the major factors that might have enabled relatively free movement of the militants in the city post floods,” the officer added.
CRPF had established camps in many old buildings vacated by Kashmir Pandits at the time of their exodus in various parts of the city.
As these houses are made of brick and mud, the flood water has made these buildings unsafe.
Militants shot dead a ruling National Conference worker on September 21 at Nowhatta in old city area followed by killing of a CRPF jawan at Aalikadal area here last Friday.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for any of the two attacks.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here