CRIME SCENE - Murder Investigation
Representational Image

SOPORE — The death of a 23-year-old in Sopore area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district triggered a fresh wave of anger in the district with police claiming that the deceased youth was an Over Ground Worker (OGW) who was arrested on September 15 along with two grenades and that he died after fleeing during the night raid after which his body was found near a stone quarry.

The family, however, outrightly, rejected the police claim and alleged that their son was dubbed as a militant and he was killed in police custody. The authorities also snapped Internet in the area to prevent any law and order incident.

Story continues below advertisement

A police statement issued here said that on September 15 at about 12:45 PM, one OGW namely Irfan Ahmad Dar (aged about 23/24 years) son of Mohammad Akbar Dar resident of Sidiq Colony, Sopore was apprehended and two Chinese hand grenades were recovered from his possession.

With family quarantined, burglars strike house in Tangmarg

“In this regard, Case FIR No. 257/2020 U/S 18 ULA (P) Act, 7/27 A Act was registered in Police Station Sopore and investigation taken up,” the police statement said.

“During the course of investigation, a Police team visited Chairdaji area of Tujjar Sharief along with OGW for affecting some more recovery on the disclosure of the OGW.”

The police statement further read that in the meanwhile, the OGW while taking advantage of darkness and terrain managed to escape regarding which a separate Case FIR No. 71/2020 U/S 224 IPC was registered in Police Station Bomai.

“And during search, the body of OGW was found near stone quarry of Tujjar Sharief,” the police statement said, adding that the body was taken to the nearby Primary Health Centre (PHC), wherefrom it was shifted to PCR Kashmir Hospital for fulfilling medical and other legal formalities and final disposal. “Further investigation is going on,” the police statement said.

Two suspected militants detained in Ramban

However, the family members of the deceased youth Irfan accused police of dubbing their son as a militant and killing him in custody. “I along with my brother Irfan were picked up by police for questioning on September 14 and we were kept separately. I was set free but my brother was kept in the police custody,” said Javaid Ahmed, Irfan’s brother.

He said that his brother has been killed in police custody and that he had no militant links. “My brother is innocent and was a shopkeeper by profession. He was unmarried and that the police claims about recovery of grenades is nothing but a baseless story,” he said.

Javaid demanded an impartial and independent probe into what he alleged as “the cold blooded murder” of his brother.

Follow Us

The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Subscribe our Telegram channel and Follow our WhatsApp channel for timely news updates!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here