KULGAM — A tragedy struck a family in Gujjar Basti Avil Manzgam area of Damhal Hanjipora in south Kashmir’s Kulgam on Friday after an elderly man died while his residential house was gutted in a fire incident a few hours after his death.
Tehsildar Damhal Hanjipora, Rouf Ahmad Lone, as per the reports of the news agency KNO, said that an elderly man (house owner) died early morning on Friday and after a few hours, his house caught fire.
The deceased has been identified as Mohammad Ashraf Khatana son of Ali Mohd Khatana, a resident of Gujjar Basti Avil Manzgam.
Rouf said immediate relief was given to the family and he himself visited the spot along with other officials. “As per SDRF norms, we will forward the case within the shortest period of time so that the family gets compensation,” he said.
He said locals played an important role in the dousing of flames and controlling fire. Asked about the cause of the fire, he said it happened probably due to a short circuit.
Meanwhile, Kulgam Police in a tweet said, “Kulgam Police received information that a fire broke out in the residential house at Manzgam. It was tough to reach there due to snowfall. SHO Manzgam under the close supervision of SSP Kulgam led all its efforts to rescue the families and control fire.”