11 killed, 50 injured in Hyderabad serial blasts

0
5
Hyderabad, Feb 22: Eleven persons have been killed and 50 injured in three bomb blasts in a busy commercial area of Hyderabad last evening.
Two of the bombs were planted on bicycles near a pair of popular local cinemas. “One bomb killed eight people, the other killed three,” said Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde. “It is possible the death toll will rise,” he said.
“This is a dastardly attack, the guilty will not go unpunished,” tweeted the Prime Minister’s Office. Shinde said intelligence alerts about a possible terror attack had been received over the last 48 hours, but said there was no information specific to Hyderabad.
The explosions in Dilsukhnagar, which began just after 7 pm, were a terror strike by “a well-trained” group which timed the explosions to cause the maximum damage. The first two explosions, at 07:01 and 07:06 pm, took place near the popular Konark and Venkatadri cinemas, which are just 500 metres apart. The third bomb exploded at 07:15 pm near a bus stand in Dilsukhnagar, which has a large fruit and vegetable market.
In 2007, twin blasts in the city killed 40 people.
Delhi, Mumbai and other major cities have been put on high-alert.
The Prime Minister has sanctioned Rs 2 lakh each to next of kin of those killed and Rs 50,000 each to those seriously injured.
Agencies

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here