Indian, Chinese troops clash in Naku La Sikkim

Indian Army calls it 'a minor face-off' with 'injuries on both sides'

0
73
Chinese Troops
Chinese Troops (File Photo)

SRINAGAR — Indian and Chinese soldiers clashed along the Line of Actual Control near Naku La pass in Sikkim last week, the Army said today, downplaying the incident as a “minor face-off”.

While details of any injuries are not yet available, sources mentioned that some troops sustained minor injuries during the brawl. The incident happened as Indian troops stopped a Chinese patrolling party in the region.

Story continues below advertisement

The Army said in a statement: “It is clarified that there was a minor face-off at Nakula area of north Sikkim on 20 January, 2021 and the same was resolved by local commanders as per established protocols.”

ALSO READ
Media reports of Army soldier’s abduction incorrect: Defence Ministry

Senior military commanders from both sides had met for the ninth time on Sunday. The meeting, which had started after 10 AM, lasted for more than 15 hours and ended at 2:30 AM on Monday morning, sources said.

There is no official word from the government about the outcome of the meeting. However, sources had mentioned earlier that China has indicated willingness to pull back its troops from the friction areas, however the two sides have not reached an agreement on the details of the process of disengagement.

ALSO READ
Militant killed, soldier injured during gunfight in Kulgam

Both sides have around 50,000 troops each in the region, along with additional artillery, tanks and Air Defence assets.

Sources within the military establishment have mentioned earlier that the Defence forces are alert for China trying to open another front in the Northeast, even as the stalemate in eastern Ladakh continues.

Follow Us

The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Subscribe our Telegram channel and Follow our WhatsApp channel for timely news updates!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here