Top JeM militant among two killed in Pulwama: Police

Government forces during a gunfight in south Kashmir
Government forces during a gunfight in south Kashmir

PULWAMA — Two militants including a top Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) militant commander were gunned down during an encounter in the Wandakpora area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, police said Monday.

Police said that acting on specific information generated by Police regarding the presence of militants in the village Wandakpora area of Awantipora, a joint cordon and search operation was launched by Police, Army (55RR) and CRPF (130Bn) in the area.

“During the search operation, as the joint search party approached towards the suspected spot, the hiding militants fired indiscriminately upon the joint search party which was retaliated effectively, leading to an encounter,” he said.

“In the ensuing encounter, two local militants of the proscribed terror outfit JeM were killed and their bodies were retrieved from the site of the encounter,” the officer said, adding that they have been identified as Kaisar Rashid Koka son of Ab Rashid Koka, resident of Tengpora, Kaigam and Ishaq Ahmad Lone son of Ghulam Nabi Lone, resident of Lelhar, Pulwama.

Kidnapped Kulgam girl rescued, efforts on to nab kidnapper: Police

“As per police records, Kaiser Koka was a categorized militant and involved in several militant crime cases including attacks on police/security forces and civilian atrocities,” he added.

He said that the Koka was active since the year 2018 and had ex-filtrated Pakistan. “After acquiring arms/ammunition and training, he infiltrated back to Kashmir valley and was active in the areas of Awantipora and Pulwama.”

He was involved in an IED attack at Larmoo Awantipora on May 2, 2022, in which two CRPF personnel got injured. While the other militant Ishaq Ahmad Lone was a hybrid militant and was also involved in several cases including attacks on police/security forces and civilian atrocities.

CRPF man shot dead by suspected militants in Pulwama

“Incriminating materials, arms and ammunition were recovered from the site of the encounter. All the recovered materials have been taken into case records for further investigation,” the officer said.

“In this regard, a case under relevant sections of law has been registered and an investigation has been initiated. People are requested to cooperate with Police till the area at the encounter site is completely sanitized and cleared of all the explosive materials if any,” the officer added.

Follow Us

The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Subscribe our Telegram channel and Follow our WhatsApp channel for timely news updates!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here