Two LeT militants killed, one surrenders in Pampore

Injured civilian succumbs while condition of another stated to be stable

Government forces during a search operation in Kashmir
Government forces during a search operation in Kashmir | Photo: Reshi Irshad

SRINAGAR — Two Lashkar-e-Taiba militants were killed while another surrendered after being injured in a gunfight with a joint team of Police, paramilitary CRPF and Army in Meej area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

The gunfight had started on Thursday evening when three militants were tracked down in Lalpora Chatlam area of Meej Pampore by the joint team comprising men from Police, Army’s 50 Rashtriya Rifles and CRPF’s 110 battalion, a police spokesperson said.

“On a specific input regarding presence of (militants), a joint cordon and search operation was launched yesterday (Thursday) evening by Police, Army and CRPF in the area,” the spokesman said, adding, “During the search operation, the hiding (militants) fired indiscriminately, resulting in injuries to two civilians and managed to escape from the hiding spot.”

In the first instance, the spokesman said, both the injured civilians were immediately rescued and shifted to hospital for the treatment. However, one of them identified as Abid Ahmad Mir (22) son of Abdul Hamid Mir, resident of Meej Pampore succumbed to his injuries, while as the condition of other injured is stated to be stable.

LeT condemns Shujaat Bukhari’s killing, blames ‘Indian agencies’

“The joint team again tracked the (militants) and as their presence got ascertained, they were given opportunity to surrender. However, they again fired indiscriminately upon the joint search party, which was retaliated, leading to an encounter.”

However due to darkness, the spokesperson said the operation was suspended and whole area was put under strict cordon.

“In the wee hours, operation resumed and in the ensuing encounter, one of the trapped (militants) was killed. However, the opportunity to surrender was yet again offered to the other trapped (militants), as a result of which one of them laid down his arms and ammunition and surrendered in an injured condition during the live encounter and was subsequently shifted to hospital.”

Drone drops arms, explosives in J-K’s Samba

He said the operation continued and the third militant got killed in the afternoon. “The bodies of both the killed militants were retrieved from the site of encounter, who as per reliable sources are Pakistani nationals.”

The surrendered militant has been identified as Khawar Sultan Mir son of Mohammad Sultan Mir of Drangbal Pampore. “All the three were affiliated with outfit LeT.”

IGP Kashmir, Vijay Kumar yet again congratulated the joint team for showing utmost patience and exhibiting professionalism, which resulted in saving the life of a local “misguided youth.”

The top police officer of the Kashmir said that nine militants have surrendered during live encounters this year. “We will continue to offer local militants option to surrender during live encounters,” he said.

Meanwhile, the spokesperson said incriminating materials including arms and ammunition have been recovered from the site of the encounter.

Editor's Note

The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Get latest news updates by subscribing to our Telegram channel or follow our WhatsApp channel!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here