Internet Ban: All you missed about Handwara incident


Srinagar: Mobile internet services, which remained suspended across Kashmir for three days, were resumed on Monday night. The authorities first suspended 3G services for a day and later suspended even the 2G services, leaving a majority of internet users in Kashmir without any access to the web.

For those who were completely cut-off from the news for last two days, here are a few things you should know about the developments in Handwara incident after complete blockage of the internet.

Story continues below advertisement

On Saturday morning, mother of the schoolgirl, on whom an army man allegedly attempted molestation in Handwara, was scheduled to address a press conference in Srinagar at the office of Jammu and Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society. However, police forces cordoned the venue and did not allow journalists to meet her and other civil society members.

The group later shared a video statement of the woman with journalists, in which she said the video statement that her daughter gave to police earlier, which was widely circulated on the internet, was given ‘under pressure’. She said her daughter was defamed.

Job aspirants, students urge authorities to restore Internet service in south Kashmir

She later filed a petition in the high court as her daughter, husband and sister were under police detention and she was not allowed to meet them. The court asked the police to explain under which law it had detained the minor girl and other family members. The court also directed police to refrain from recording any statement of the minor girl in police custody anymore.

The school girl was later presented before the Chief Judicial Magistrate of Handwara to record her statement. According to police, the girl said that she used a public lavatory after her school day and when she came out she was “confronted, assaulted and dragged” by two boys, one of whom was in school uniform. However, police did not reveal if she said anything about the army man or alleged molestation attempt.

Except two districts, 4G Internet ban extended in J&K

Chief Minister, Mehbooba Mufti, on Saturday, met families of three out of five slain civilians, who were recently killed in army firing in Kupwara district, and assured them of justice.

The government of India on Saturday decided to send 3600 more paramilitary force personnel to Kashmir to “strengthen the security grid.”

Independent legislator, Er Abdul Rasheed, refuted the claims of the Indian army that it opened fire on civilians when they attacked the army camp in Natnusa village of Kupwara. He said the teenager, who died of bullet injuries yesterday, was 300 meters away from the camp when he was hit by a bullet.

Meanwhile, routine life resumed across Kashmir valley on Sunday, except in northern Kashmir’s Kupwara district where curfew-like restrictions continued. Restrictions were lifted from capital Srinagar. However, there was no major incident of stone-pelting reported.

Follow Us

The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Subscribe our Telegram channel and Follow our WhatsApp channel for timely news updates!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here