Three militants killed in Mujgund gunfight

Mujgund Encounter
Representational Image

Srinagar: Three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants, two of them locals, were killed in an encounter with government forces at Mujgund area on Srinagar-Bandipora road, a police spokesman said on Sunday.

The bodies of two local militants have been handed over to the family for last rites and according to the family, both of them would be laid to rest tomorrow.

Story continues below advertisement

The police spokesman said that a search operation was launched yesterday jointly by Police, Army and CRPF based on a credible input about the presence of militants.

“During the search operation, the search party was fired upon by the hiding (militants). The fire was retaliated, leading to a gunfight. In the initial exchange of fire, one Army jawan sustained injuries and was shifted to hospital for medical treatment,” the spokesman said.

Case filed against social media users in J&K

In the ensuing encounter, three militants were killed and their bodies were retrieved from the site of encounter.

The police identified the slain as Mudasir Rashid Parray, Saqib Bilal Sheikh, both residents of Hajin Bandipora and Ali, a Pakistani. “The trio were affiliated with militant outfit LeT.”

Ali according to police records was involved in several attacks on security establishments. “He was involved in recruitments in Hajin and Sumbal areas of Bandipora.”

“In the initial exchange of fire, one Army jawan was injured who is admitted in hospital. Three civilians also sustained injuries as the area was in open and the injured were shifted to hospital for medical treatment. They are stated to be stable”.

Six Covid patients die in one night at DH Pulwama

The spokesman said that huge quantity of arms and ammunition including rifles were recovered from the site of encounter. “All these materials have been taken in the case records for further investigation and probe their complicity in the cases.”

Sources said that bodies of Parray and Sheikh have been handed over to their families while the corpse of Ali was lying in PCR. Meanwhile, internet services remained suspended in Srinagar and Bandipora from early Sunday morning till 1800 hours. (GNS)

Follow Us

The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Subscribe our Telegram channel and Follow our WhatsApp channel for timely news updates!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here