PULWAMA — At least 31 sheep died after consuming toxic water in Muchpona village of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Sunday.
The unfortunate incident took place on Sunday afternoon and immediately, a team of district veterinary doctors rushed to the spot and started treating the animals. At least 31 sheep died, while a few took ill and were being treated.
The sheep, belonging to a flock of 47, were owned by two farmers — Imtiyaz Ahmad Mir and Bashir Ahmad Rather — from Muchpona village.
Bashir Ahmad, one of the owners, told The Kashmir Pulse that the flock drank water in the afternoon and collapsed soon after. “We immediately sought help from the local animal husbandry department. The doctors tried to treat the animals but the majority of the sheep had succumbed,” he added.
The farmers have suffered a loss of over five lakh rupees due to the unfortunate incident. “We have suffered a loss of at least seven lakh rupees as each sheep in the flock could sell for 30,000 rupees at least,” Bashir Ahmad rued.
Imtiyaz Ahmad’s father, Abdul Ahad Mir, said that the flock drank water in a local stream of water, which was contaminated. “As a result of the contaminated water, we lost over 30 sheep and many more are ill,” he stated.
The owners of the flock have appealed to the local Animal and Sheep Husbandry Department and Deputy Commissioner Pulwama to intervene and help them get sufficient compensation in this connection.
Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner Pulwama, Baseer-ul-Haq Choudhary, while speaking to The Kashmir Pulse said that the administration has initiated action and other compensation according to the relevant rules in this regard.
The Kashmir Pulse is now on Google News. Get latest news updates by subscribing to our Telegram handle or join our WhatsApp Group!