Srinagar: Kashmir today witnessed clashes between security forces and civilians with reports of stone pelting coming in from some areas of the Valley. The clashes after Eid prayers in Kashmir left around 20 civilians and five policemen injured.

Clashes erupted in the south Kashmir town of Anantnag after protesters took on security forces in Janglat Mandi area immediately after Eid prayers.

The clashes, with groups of young men hurling stones at security forces, then spread to adjoining Achabal area in Anantnag district.

Similar protests also broke out in Kulgam, Shopian and Pulwama towns in southern Kashmir after Eid Prayers in Kashmir. Clashes were also reported from north Kashmir’s Sopore and Pattan towns.

Police resorted to tear gas shelling in Srinagar, where two CRPF men were injured after being hit by stones. Heavy stone pelting was also seen in Pulwama and Sopore. Meanwhile, pellet guns were used in Sopore.

“The security forces are exercising maximum restraint while dealing with the stone pelters at these places,” a senior police officer in Srinagar told news agency IANS.

Eid prayers elsewhere in the valley ended peacefully.

Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti offered Eid prayers at a mosque in the high security Sonawar area.

A huge number of devotees were seen offering Eid prayers at the Hazratbal shrine and other mosques and Eidgahs in the valley.

For security reasons, many ministers, senior civil and police officers offered prayers at the district police lines mosque in the city here at 6.30 a.m.

Kashmir Inspector General of Police on Sunday issued an advisory, asking the VIPs to offer Eid prayers only at protected places and avoid public places.

Today’s reports of protests come days after a Deputy Superintendent of Police, Mohammed Ayub Pandith, was stoned to death outside Jamia Masjid Srinagar and a day after two militants were killed in a long, drawn-out encounter in Srinagar. (With Inputs from IANS)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here